We know how hectic owning a small business can be, especially when juggling a personal life, but it is also extremely rewarding to see your creation become successful. Unfortunately, that success can also make you a target for others who are looking for a shortcut.
The success of your business is due to many factors but one of those factors is the branding that goes into your company.
Branding is more than just a logo. It can refer to just about anything associated with your business, including the name of the company, slogans, logos, color schemes, , domain name etc.
Your company branding is usually the first thing people associate with your business, and because of this, it is essential to protect it from potential infringers.
Here are our top 6 tips for protecting your business & brand:
- Register for a trademark to ensure that your company name, logo, and designs belong to you and remain protected.
- Register for copyrights to protect your company's website and published works such as articles, music, art, literary works, etc.
- Police & monitor your brand. As stated by recent case law, brands have an active duty to monitor, police and enforce any misappropriations of their brand. One cost effective way to keep track of your brand's online presence is to sign up for Google alerts for your company. This can be useful for both monitoring potential infringers and press.
- Our attorneys can monitor trademark and domain filing registrations around the world for people targeting our clients' brands.
- Make it a regular practice to sweep the internet and issue takedown notices to sites with infringing products or contents. In addition to takedowns, you will want to send "Cease & Desists" directly to those infringers, so they are on notice that you object and are actively enforcing against infringing content and products.
- Ensure customer interaction is your top priority. In today's digital age, online reviews are key to brand strength, cultivating a public trust of the business.
For any questions or inquiries, give us a call at 212.213.8511.