Whether you are the owner of a small or large business, you must have a clear and comprehensive sexual harassment policy in place. This is a crucial step in protecting your business and your employees.
New York-Compliant Policies must:
- Make clear that sexual harassment will not be tolerated and that any employee engaged in sexual harassment will face sanctions, including managerial personnel that knowingly allow sexual harassment to continue.
- Provide examples of conduct that will be deemed sexual harassment.
- Provide information on federal, state, and local laws concerning sexual harassment, and addressing remedies available to sexual harassment victims—including available forums for adjudicating sexual harassment complaints.
- Provide a complaint form, and outline company procedures for handling sexual harassment complaints in a timely and confidential manner.
- State that it is illegal to retaliate—in any way—against an employee who files a sexual harassment complaint, testifies or assists in an investigation.
Sexual Harassment Training:
As of October 9, 2019, all employers must conduct interactive sexual harassment prevention training with all current employees.
- New employees should be trained as quickly as possible.
- Sexual harassment prevention training MUST be completed at least once per year.
- All records pertaining to company sexual harassment training must be maintained in the ordinary course of business.
How We Can Help You:
Our firm’s employment practice is built on a foundation of over 25 years experience in representing companies in business counseling and litigation. We are fully equipped to provide on-site or remote sexual harassment training to assist you in keeping your employees safe and productive, and to keep your company in compliance with New York employment law.
Please give us a call if you would like us to send you more information or if you would like to discuss how we can help you: 212.213.8511